- Information on IBM Training courses for z Systems may be found at IBM z Systems Curriculum.
- IBM z/VM, KVM for z Systems, Linux on z Systems, and z/VSE Live Virtual Classes
- IBM z Systems eLearning for IBM customers
This is a non-exhaustive list of other training available.
- SHARE offers a wide range of z Systems and related education. The next conference is in Providence, RI August 6-11, 2017.
- The VM Workshop held each year in June provides a low-cost set of technical sessions on z/VM, Linux on z Systems and now z/VSE.
- CA Technologies offers their 12 week Mainframe Academy program as well as a range of other courses.
- Peter Enrico and Enterprise PerformanceStrategies offers z/OS Performance Seminars.
- Barton Robinson and Velocity Software offers z/VM Performance Seminars.
- ProTech Training offers a wide range of z Systems classroom courses.
- Interskill offers a wide range of z Systems e-learning courses.
- The Institute for Data Center Professionals at Marist College offers z/OS and related e-learning certificate courses.
- MVS Training provides custom z/OS training and the MVS Mainframe Book Series to help IT professionals perform their job better.
There are several internet discussion lists related to z Systems. You can find links to these at http://www.vm.ibm.com/techinfo/listserv.html. The primary discussion lists are:
- IBM-MAIN for z/OS and related topics.
- IBMVM for z/VM and related related topics.
- LINUX-390 for Linux on z Systems and related topics.
- VSE-L for z/VSE and related topics.
There is a lot of information at the z Systems Academic Initiative site. The course materials (slides) are available to members of the Academic Initiative.
The text books are available on the Redbooks site under the "Introduction to the New Mainframe" series:
- Large-Scale Commercial Computing (3 January 2007)
- z/OS Basics (4 January 2012)
- z/VM Basics (10 January 2008)
- z/VSE Basics (2 March 2016)
- Networking (7 November 2006)
- Security (26 April 2007)
- The z/OS basic skills information center provides several courses, some of which are interactive web-based.
- The z/VM information center provides a portal to resources for z/VM.
- The IBM Education Assistantand provides material on several Software Group products and on z/OS.
A more detailed level of training is available in the "ABCs of z/OS System Programming" series:
- ABCs Volume 1:Provides an updated understanding of the software and IBM zSeries architecture, and explains how it is used together with the z/OS operating system. This includes the main components of z/OS needed to customize and install the z/OS operating system. This edition has been significantly updated and revised. (20 August 2014)
- ABCs Volume 2: z/OS implementation and daily maintenance,defining subsystems, JES2 and JES3, LPA, LNKLST, authorized libraries, SMP/E, Language Environment (12 September 2008)
- ABCs Volume 3: Introduction to DFSMS, data set basics storage management hardware and software, catalogs, and DFSMStvs (11 March 2010)
- ABCs Volume 4: z/OS Communications Server (10 Feburary 2011)
- ABCs Volume 5: Base and Parallel Sysplex, System Logger,Resource Recovery Services (RRS), global resource serialization(GRS), z/OS system operations, automatic restart management(ARM), Geographically Dispersed Parallel Sysplex (GDPS) (12 May 2011)
- ABCs Volume 6: Introduction to security, IBM RACF, digital certificates and public key infrastructure (PKI), Kerberos,cryptography and IBM z Systems integrated cryptography, Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), and Enterprise Identity Mapping(EIM) (12 August 2014)
- ABCs Volume 7: Printing in a z/OS environment, Infoprint Server and Infoprint Central (16 October 2008)
- ABCs Volume 8: An introduction to z/OS problem diagnosis (26 July 2012)
- ABCs Volume 9: z/OS UNIX System Services (12 May 2011)
- ABCs Volume 10:Volume 10: Introduction to z/Architecture, z Systems processor design, z Systems connectivity, LPAR concepts, HCD, and HMC (30 December 2016)
- ABCs Volume 11: Capacity planning, performance management, RMF, and SMF (7 December 2010)
- ABCs Volume 12: WLM (29 January 2010)
- ABCs Volume 13: JES3 (7 February 2012)
- JES2, JES3, and SDSF (15 December 2015)
- Security (17 December 2015)
- Storage Management and Utilities (17 December 2015)
- Availability Management (17 December 2015)
- Performance (17 December 2015)
- Operations (17 December 2015)
- Sysplex (16 December 2015)
- Unix Systems Services (16 December 2015)
- User Interfaces (17 December 2015)
z/OS V2 Communications Server TCP/IP series:
- TCP/IP Implementation Volume 1: Base Functions,Connectivity, and Routing z/OS V2R2 (30 November 2016)
- TCP/IP Implementation Volume 2: Standard Applications z/OS V2R2 (21 September 2016)
- TCP/IP Implementation Volume 3: High Availability, Scalability, and Performance z/OS V2R2 (7 April 2017)
- TCP/IP Implementation Volume 4: Security and Policy-Based Networking z/OS V2R2 (21 March 2017)
- Volume 1 Architecture and Platform Security (1 December 2015)
- Volume 2 Mainframe Communication and Networking Security (25 September 2015)
- Volume 3 Mainframe Subsystem and Application Security (2 November 2015)